Thursday, June 6, 2013

In my leisure


I have read near/just over 40 books.

Favorites:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I'd read this book before, but at too young of an age to appreciate it. This is a book about innocence and childhood, and parenting. Read it. If you've read it before and you weren't yet out of college-read it again. I cried, I laughed, I laughed til I cried.


Life of Pi by Yan Martel
Oh I could not put this book down! Partly, perhaps, because of my newfound adoration of the ocean. Nevertheless, it is a great story and asks some really interesting questions. In fact, if you are familiar with Rob Bell's highly controversial book entitled "Love Wins", it raises similar ideas. Read it. And, how's the movie?

The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness in Africa by Josh Swiller
This is not the first book I've read by a returned peace corps volunteer, but it is by far my favorite. I can't tell if I like this book more because I'm a PCV, but regardless, it is fantastic. The author has so much charisma, knows how to tell a story, and, most importantly, has one heck of a story to tell!

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
What can I say? I'm not a sci fi nerd but the first book, Ender's Game, was life changingly awesome, and I couldn't help but be sucked in by this last book either. If you haven't read these two-give them a chance. Extra incentive- the movie is coming out sometime in the near future!

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Believe it or not, I had never read this classic. The book, besides making me laugh and cry and miss too dearly for words my mom and sister, actually made me want to be a better person. I too, whilst reading this book, strived to be like Pilgrim on this journey. What a wonderful book!

Promising books in my future:

The Good Earth by Pearl Buck
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan



Any suggestions?

Alissa




No comments:

Post a Comment