Friday, August 12, 2011

discipline

My junior year at CCU I was obsessed with the image of myself carrying the yoke of christ.

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”NLT



28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Love these verses....loved them that junior year cause I was very weary and worn out...and I look back on these words now as I consider what Christ meant by "taking his yoke".

Discipline...I desire the discipline of his yoke upon me. Not moving unless he moves me. Plodding on (in a good way, not in the connotation of this word way), tirelessly moving forward in my journey with/towards Christ-in my journey bringing His Kingdom here. How I desire my master's yoke to be binding me to his every move.

So, his yoke I will pursue. And my first step will be rediscovering what it means to be disciplined. And not just in spiritual things-but in all ways-disciplined.

So, I am setting small goals for myself. Easy ones-that are easily accomplished. So that I may FEEL accomplished, feel good about myself, feel successful, and then move forward and create a bigger goal.

And I am excited.

1 comment:

  1. Is one of those small goals getting that long-planned-for tattoo of a yoke?

    For real though, good for you! I remember you wrote me that verse (from the Message) in a card to take with me to Uganda... I still have it, and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete