Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Books

I've finished three books in the last week.

"Silence" by Shusako Endo

"Silence" is one of Mark's favorite books. It follows the life of a missionary in Japan at a time when Christianity was forbidden. This story is gripping, moving, and ...unsatisfying in that it leaves you with so many questions about faith, and the heart of God. I definitely recommend it-power through the first 30 pages or so, after that it gets good!

The Silence of God is something so hard to wrap one's head around...



"Notes from the Hyena's Belly" by Nega Mezelkia

I saw this book at the library and had to choose it. It is a coming of age story, written by an Ethiopian man. The book is full of Ethiopian history-political and otherwise, as well as popular Ethiopian folklore, and an amazing tale of a young boys survival during the communist years in Ethiopia. Plans to visit Harar are now underway...

"Tears of the Desert" by Halima Bashir

I could not put this book down once I started it. It is the tragic and triumphant autobiography of a woman doctor in Darfur. I felt like I had lived in her little village with her after reading this book, which made the war in Darfur all the more horrifying as Halima courageously shared her story. As one person she has made such a difference, I want her same fire and strength to possess me.

No comments:

Post a Comment